Date(s) - 14/07/2021 - 31/08/2021
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
The Retrofit Academy has developed a nationally accredited, modular qualification which equips the retrofit industry and its clients with the skills and knowledge required to deliver projects that are:
Compliant with the new PAS2035 and PAS2030 standards
High-quality and underpin client and resident ‘best interest’
Appropriate solutions for individual buildings
The Level 5 Diploma in Domestic Retrofit Coordination and Risk Management is awarded by the Open College Network West Midlands, an OFQUAL-regulated Awarding Body. The course modules are authored by the Academy’s tutors, based upon a qualification specification developed by Peter Rickaby, the original Technical Author of the PAS 2035 Standard.
The qualification features the following modules which together cover all the key aspects of domestic refurbishment including a module focusing on the challenges related to retrofitting welsh housing stock:
- Introduction to Domestic Retrofit
- Retrofit Quality Assurance and Risk Management
- Building Physics (Thermal Efficiency)
- Building Physics (Managing Moisture Risk)
- Assessing Dwellings for Retrofit
- Improvement Option Evaluation and Medium-Term Retrofit Plans
- Improving the Building Fabric (Floors and Roofs)
- Improving the Building Fabric – (Walls and Windows)
- Improving Airtightness and Ventilation
- Improving the Building Services (Heating, Hot Water, Lighting and Power)
- Improving the Building Services (Renewable Energy Systems)
- Post Retrofit Testing, Monitoring, and Evaluation
From this course, you will gain a comprehensive understanding of the role of the Retrofit Coordinator and the six key stages to any retrofit project, including:
- Intended Outcomes – Collecting information on a property and deciding what the project should achieve.
- Risk Assessment – Determining the path (A, B or C) of a project; how to use the templates to support this.
- Whole Dwelling Assessment – Treating buildings individually; determining the type of assessments required by the path and identifying who can carry it out.
- Planning & Design – Ensuring the significance assessment report is sufficient and providing statutory approvals.
- Installation – Complying with PAS 2030 (2019) as part of PAS 2035 and avoiding conflict of interest.
- Monitoring & Evaluation – Ensuring the intended outcomes are delivered and reporting back to the project team.
Dates & Method of Study
Blended Online Learning ‘Bootcamp’
This course is delivered online by tutors who are experts in the field. Using a blended method to teach the content via eLearning, supplemented by intensive boot camp-style lectures and seminars:
Bootcamp Lectures with hands-on teaching
Lecture 1: 14 July, 09:00 – 12:30
Lecture 2: 28 July, 09:00 – 12:30
Lecture 3: 11 August 9:-00 – 12:30
Lecture 4: 25 August 9:-00 – 12:30
Seminar 1: 20 July, 9 am – 10.30 am or 11 am -12.30 pm
Seminar 2: 3 August, 9 am – 10.30 am or 11 am -12.30 pm
Seminar 3: 17 August, 9 am – 10.30 am or 11 am -12.30 pm
Seminar 4: 31 August, 9 am – 10.30 am or 11 am -12.30 pm
All course materials are available online, and students will complete assignments and submit assessments via the learning portal.
As guidance, learners should hold a professional qualification in a building-related subject such as architecture, surveying, engineering, or construction management) or a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) at Level 3 or above in a subject related to management or supervision of construction and domestic construction projects.
Learners will also need to:
- Be familiar with domestic construction techniques.
- Be able to read and understand construction drawings and specifications.
- Be familiar with Building Regulations and with construction Health & Safety best practices.
- 12-month membership to The Retrofit Academy’s Centre of Excellence with access to invaluable learner resources, expert guides, and best practice documents.
- A copy of the full PAS 2035 standard.
- Access to The Retrofit Academy’s PAS 2035 templates and training on how to use them.
- The opportunity to network with peers and online mentors.
The Retrofit Academy
We welcome applications from companies as well as employed individuals.
To apply for a funded place on this course companies can complete the Employer Application form in the first instance.
Please note that should you cancel or not complete the course cancellation charges may apply.